Monday, September 12, 2016

Inspired Inspiration

Many people utilize the Bible and other Christian writings for inspiration in the daily lives. For me, all too often these books have come in a less than inspiring package. For those who participate in Bible study or who want to refer back to particular passages or verses pages can quickly become dog eared or difficult to read if you like to highlight or take notes. While the invention of Post It Notes is great, I found my Bible quickly becoming logged down with the notes and marked pages. I also wanted to avoid the larger style, heirloom, illustrated Bibles, just due to shear weight.

Now comes a series of great tools that are also great looking, what I have dubbed Inspiring inspiration.

HCSB Illustrator’s Notetaking Bible – Holman Bible Staff (editor)

When you take a traditional, carrying Bible, it is difficult to take notes without some form of additional inserted cards or paper. Well the Holman Bible Staff have come up with a unique looking Bible that can be uniquely personalized and notated.


The HCSB Illustrator’s Notetaking Bible, offers up not only a useful space for jotting down notations, but also takes things to a new level by tapping into the adult coloring phenomenon by giving creative types a way to personally customize their Bibles by coloring the outlined pictures and drawings throughout the pages.

While this may not be everyone’s cup of tea, I found this to be not only a useful tool, allowing me to jot notes, thoughts and outlines in the substantial margins, but this is also of such a nice, sturdy and beautiful quality, that I can see it passed on through generations and allow family members to read what I was thinking as I utilized the Book.

365 Pocket Morning Prayers: Strength and Joy to Begin Each Day – David R. Veerman

I have an admission to make upfront; I have become a bit of a junkie for nifty, leather bound journals and notebooks. Between my day job and a few other business ventures I tend to keep a stack of these in my briefcase because they not only look professional, but they hold up over time.

So when I received a copy of 365 Pocket Morning Prayers: Strength and Joy to Begin Each Day, I was immediately thrilled with the butter-soft leather cover which is beautifully embossed with a palm tree and birds.



For those that take a few minutes at the start of their day for reflection and prayer, this is a powerful little package. I can toss it in my briefcase, alongside my notebooks, and take it with me to work or on road trips and it’s never out of place.

The design makes this a great bit of inspiration, no matter if you work from the front to the back or if you flip around to find your inspiration for the day.

Gratitude: A Prayer and Praise Coloring Journal – Tyndale (Producer)

While I haven’t been bitten by the adult coloring bug, I did think that the Gratitude: A Prayer and Praise Coloring Journal, was a great way to combine quiet reflection and prayer in one time frame.



It is a beautiful collection of words and images that just about anyone can find inspiration in. There is something to be said about the power of journaling and the focus it can bring to your life and this book presents you with a real opportunity to be present in the moment and share your thoughts with not only yourself, but with your family.

My first thought upon thumbing through this book was what a wonderful and meaningful gift this be for a family member or friend. Not only will they be inspired, but they will think of you whenever they put the book to use.


No comments: