Sunday, October 30, 2016

Guy Fieri: The Tim Tebow of Cooking

Guy Fieri Family Food: 125 Real-Deal Recipes – Kitchen Tested, Home Approved – Guy Fieri and Marah Stets (William Morrow Cookbooks)

What is it about spikey haired chef Guy Fieri? For some unknown (to me) reason, people feel the need to go out of their way to look for things to dislike about this guy. He has been the subject of ongoing ridicule and derision from the dopes on Twitter and other online outposts. For me he is almost the cooking world’s equivalent of Tim Tebow; a guy people love to hate.

And like Tebow, Fieri just continues to do what he does, go out and be successful! His latest endeavor is Guy Fieri Family Food: 125 Real-Deal Recipes – Kitchen Tested, Home Approved. Just like the title says, the book is chock full of flavor focused recipes, many of which seem to gravitate towards the family joining into the cooking process.



As a confirmed member of the Triple D club (Fieri’s Food Network Hit Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives) I am a fan of simple, tasty food that does take a degree from the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) to bang out. Fieri draws a simple road map that will get you to his fabled “flavor town.”

Flipping through the pages I found my mouth watering, my head nodding and my feet gravitating towards the kitchen. Hey Thanksgiving is right around the corner, Bacon Roasted Turkey? Yes! Please. Grilled Asparagus with bacon, brie and crunchy quinoa? I’m in! Bacon mac and cheese burger; Am I noticing a trend here? Bacon rules!


While some home cooks may complain that many of the recipes here call for a pretty long list of ingredients; for me the journey to get there is worth the destination. Fieri also lays out the basics when it comes to the sauces, stocks and building blocks not only for the recipes in this book but stuff you can use to improve your own book of food favorites.

No comments: