Thursday, September 7, 2017

The Best of Both Worlds

The Essential Instant Pot Cookbook: Fresh and Foolproof Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker – Coco Morante (Ten Speed Press)

Full disclosure up front: I am a huge fan of the crock pot or slow cooker and have used them regularly for over three decades in various shapes and sizes for a WIDE variety of dishes.

So when it came to the thought process of utilizing a pressure cooker or in this case Instant Pot, I admit to being a little puzzled by the speed at which these recipes could go from prep to table. I am a fan of soups, stews and chili so I naturally gravitated towards trying those kinds of recipes as a test run for the device.


Author Coco Morante has loaded up a range of things that cover an amazing spectrum of tasty delights in The Essential Instant Pot Cookbook: Fresh and Foolproof Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker. I took a swing at the chili and carefully following the recipe I was pleased with the results. One thing I did notice as a tried a few more of these offering is that the pressure cooker is not quite as forgiving as the crockpot. If things are off a little bit with the crockpot, a couple of tweaks can turn things around flavor-wise. I did have quite the same success with the Instant Pot.


Armed with Morante’s collection, I will confidently create tasty meals at breakneck speed, but when it comes to throwing everything and the kitchen sink into making dinner, I will stick with the crockpot. 

No comments: